Kids Corner - Slinky Facts
I was reading a magazine and came across some interesting slinky facts...
- The coil-shaped toy was invented in 1945 by American naval engineer Richard James who was inspired when a spring came loose on a ship and fell to the floor in front of him.
- More than 250 million Slinkys have been sold worldworld!
- If you took the wire from all the Slinkys ever made, it would circle the Earth 126 times.
- Almost anything to do with earthquake seismology can be demonstrated with a Slinky.
- Slinkys have been used as a component in pecan picking, curtain holders, pigeon repellers and table decorations. American soliders used them as makeshift radio "aerials" in Vietnam.
- The name Slinky is drawn from a Swedish word meaning sleek.